Hello pug lovers! By the end of this article, we will give healthful habits on how to avoid pug ear infections.
Pugs are more likely to get ear infections than other dogs and can get allergic otitis. An infection of the ear canal affected by allergies.
We always tell the pug owner to always have proper hygiene. But sometimes most of them still have this problem. We have checked our files to give you full details about dog ear infections.
We have listed the reasons why your pug dogs are having ear infections. And how to prevent this kind of health problems in pugs. Continue reading to learn more.
Table of Contents
Kinds of Pug Ear Infections
Following the ear canal is the eardrum. Followed by the middle and inner ear, from deep within the skull. Otitis is ear irritation and has three categories. According to the location of the infection in a dog’s ear:
- Ear canal inflammation
- Middle ear inflammation
- Inner Ear Canal inflammation
Otitis externa is the most prevalent of these three diseases. Since it affects one of the most uncovered regions of the ear.
Dog breeds that is prone to ear infections
Canine Ear Infections, which may progress to otitis seem to be more common in dogs. With an ear flap, rose ears, and flying ears physical aspect.
The most usually afflicted breeds aside from pugs are Bloodhound, Boston terriers, and Basset Hound.
Pug dogs with floppy ears can develop otitis . If the eardrum ruptured since a broken eardrum permits germs to travel down into the inner ear.
Causes of Pug Ear Infections
There are many factors causing ear infections in your pugs. Most of the time, a dog’s ear isn’t able to protect itself because of an underlying issue. When the ears become wet or sore, it is easy for bacteria to develop out of control and lead to infection.
A pug dog’s ear can get infected for many different reasons:
- Things that get into the ear call foreign body.
- Ear mites
- A lot of water from bathing or swimming.
- People who are allergic to certain foods
- Endocrine problems or recurrent ear infections because of allergies
- Types of cancer
- Impact to the ear for some incident
Infections from bacteria can happen because of all these things. It can happen if a dog is in pain and scratching and shaking too much, which can cause an aural hematoma to form as well. The pinna, or earflap, is where blood vessels break and leak blood, which clots and makes the area swell up and hurt.
Symptoms and Treatment for most Ear Infections
Many dog owners know what to look for when their dog has an ear infection. But here is the list that you need to examine at home.
Common signs of dog ear infections:
- A lot of skin irritation and dark brown shade
- Head shaking, especially when it looks weird or unnatural
- Swelling and rashes around the ear canal
- Scratching at the ear
- A strange smell and discharge
- Scabs or crusts on the skin in the ears
When you look at dogs, their ear canals are very straight. This L-shape makes it more likely to hold fluid. And bacteria, ear mites, yeast infections can enter that cause infection.
People who have their dog’s ears hurt can get three types of infections:
- Otitis externa usually affects inflammation of the external part of the ear.
- Otitis media affects the middle part of the ear canal. And is usually a secondary development of chronic otitis external cases.
- Otitis interna, which means an infection in the inner ear, can cause brain damage.
Dog ear infections can be very bad. And they can cause hearing problems, head tilting, or facial paralysis.
To determine the best therapy for your dog. Your veterinarian will most likely need to analyze the ear debris or do ear scans. Your veterinarian may perform the following tests:
- Cytology is a technique that uses particular pigments. Administered a swab of wastes to color minute cell lining. The particular reason for looking at them under a microscope.
- Determining which drugs are most successful in treating the illness. Through Culture testing .
- Blood tests
When your veterinarian determines your pug’s ear infections. Treatment will most likely consist of many components for treatment, including:
A cleaner is often used in conjunction with an ointment or eardrop. Usually, this drug must inject into the ear canal.
Oral antibiotics, antifungal, or steroid medicine may use. To help heal the ear from the inside out Depending on the severity of the infection.
Veterinarians may not be able to help ears that had very long-term problems. They will open the ear canal or remove all the diseased tissue with surgery. For these ears or total ear, canal ablation helps prevent infection.
To get rid of particles, discharge, and excess wax, your vet will disinfect your dog’s ear very well. They will do this after they figure out how bad and what kind of ear infection your dog has.
They might use an ear medication cleaner or put on a medicine that is on the skin to prevent ear infections.
Severe cases of pug ear infections
If your pug’s ear has a severe case. Follow your veterinarian’s specific instructions about anti-inflammatory medications. You can help the application process go more if you do the following:
- Keep your dog’s comfort with love and rewards. To make the application procedure smoother.
- Enlisting the help of a friend or family member to hold and calm your pet while you administer medicine to the ear.
- Applying the drug to the afflicted region with a gentle massage of the vertical ear canal.
Even if your pet seems to be doing better. Always complete the whole course of ear solution to prevent infection. Treatment lapses or mistakes might extend your puppy’s sickness.
Ear infections are a common condition in many dogs. Keep your dog’s ears clean and dry to avoid ear-related health problems in the future.
How to Prevent Pugs Ear Infections
- For proper care for pugs, you need to groom, ear cleaning, clean pug face, and keep their ears in good shape.
- If your dog swims a lot, it’s even more necessary to clean its ears on a regular basis.
- The best way to clean is to use ear cleaners. These are usually made for dogs and have drying agents in them. Please avoid using cotton balls because they are not intended for dogs.
A pug’s ears need to be cleaned at least once a week to prevent infection and odor.
The best way to clean your pug’s ears is by using a damp cloth and wiping away the wax, dirt, and debris. You should also make sure that you dry your pug’s ears after you have cleaned them.
A veterinarian can also help with cleaning the inside of your pug’s ear canal if there is any buildup of wax or debris. They will use an otoscope to look inside the ear canal and remove any buildup that may be present.
Pug owners should be aware of the signs of an ear infection such as head shaking or scratching at the ears. When these symptoms are present, it’s important to clean your pug’s ears with a solution made specifically for cleaning dog’s ears.
A few things to remember when you clean your pug dog’s ears:
- Never use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean your ear infection in dogs . They can kill healthy ear cells, so don’t do that.
- It could hurt your dog’s ears if you put cotton swabs down into his ear.
- You can use one ear wipes to clean the crevices and the button ears.
- To use a liquid cleanser. Follow the directions because single mistake in many dogs can cause infection
Is Pug Ear Problems Infectious to other Dog’s ear?
Dog ear infections can be infectious or not, depending on what caused them. Most of the time, they are not. But if it is because of ear mites, it should be removed as soon as possible as it is very contagious.
To get rid of ear mites, you need to diagnose all your pets at the same time. Ear mites are common in puppies and kittens, but they may not know at first when you get a new pet.
But soon after you bring your new pet home, there will be a lot of scratching and shaking from other pets in the house.
When you’re around a pet with an ear infection, you should wash your hands. And keep other pets from licking the infected animal’s ears.
After the treatment it is best to wash your hands again as well to avoid contaminating other medicines.
Is it possible for pugs ears infection to get cured by themselves?
The dog ear infection does not usually disappear by itself. A veterinarian must examine the inflammation and the eardrum in all cases of otitis.
Different cleansers and drugs might be hazardous. Leading inflammation affecting the inner ear.
Please remember that early treatment is very important.
Pug Ear smell
Pug ear smell is caused by bacteria on the skin in the folds of the pug’s ear canal. The bacteria produces an unpleasant odor that can be avoided by cleaning out the ears regularly and using a gentle cleanser on them.
The ear is a very sensitive part of the body and has a number of functions. It helps with hearing, balance and protection against dirt or water. Dogs have an acute sense of smell and can detect odors that are much weaker than humans can detect.
Pugs have floppy ears which may lead to them having an increased risk for ear infections because their ears are more likely to get dirty or wet. Pugs also have a higher risk for ear mites because they groom themselves by licking their paws and then rubbing them on their face and ears.
Best Advice for pug owners
To have healthy ears; clean your Pug’s ears after bathing and swimming, and every two to four weeks. The excess moisture will keep small by doing this and regular ear cleanings. This will also help to reduce the occurrence of ear infections.
Pugs are often prone to ear infections. This is because they have a short and flat ear canal that makes it difficult for them to shake off any dirt or debris that may have accumulated in the ear canal.
Which is why it is important to keep an eye on your pug’s ears. Signs of an infection include scratching or shaking the head, redness, or swelling in the ear canal. If you notice any signs that your pug has an ear infection it is important to bring them in to see a vet as soon as possible.
Pugs are also more susceptible to ear infections because they have a higher level of skin folds around their ears which traps moisture and dirt.
As soon as you see signs that your pug’s ears have an infection, you should call your vet to seek early treatment.
You can visit our other pug blogs to learn about pug’s health and more.